In honor of Memorial Day, my workplace closed for both Thursday and Friday. When added to the Monday holiday and the PTO that I took on Wednesday, I have six glorious days off work. The Professor and I have had an amazing year of travel due to our job responsibilities, so we opted to stay home and relax. I’ve dedicated that I would celebrate my days off by squeezing in as many sewing projects as possible- thus creating a sew-cation. (Yes, it’s a bit nerdy.)
What do I want to accomplish, you ask? Well, I have quite a list.
- Bow tie for the little ring bearer in my friend’s wedding (Crab Apple Attic pattern)
- Tulle underskirt for the flower girl in my friend’s wedding (self-drafted pattern)
- Matching sash for the flower girl in my friend’s wedding (self-drafted pattern)
- Jumper for the cutest two year old birthday boy (Butterick 5439)
- Rose colored seersucker dress for myself (Simplicity 2177)
- Tweak the muslin and make a blue chambray shirtdress for myself (Simplicity 2403)
- Mock-up and draft the pattern for my new doll class
Whew. It’s quite a goal. I don’t think that I will get everything accomplished, but I’m sure going to try.
Since my vacation started on Wednesday, I’ve made progess with some of the items on my list.
The little boy bow tie.
The ring bearer is 3 years old. He is going to be so handsome in this tie. The pattern is made by Crab Apple Attic, and I found it via a lovely review by Dana at MADE.
The bow tie was so easy to make, and turns out beautifully. Unlike other bow tie patterns for little boys, this pattern is for a real bow tie. (The Professor had to help me tie it for the picture). I made one small alteration, which was adding several inches of fabric around the neck piece to cover the elastic band.
The tulle underskirt and sash for the flower girl.
The flower girl is five years old and is the ring bearer’s sister. Her dress now has a sash that matches the bow tie.
And a little underskirt made of crinoln and tulle.
It’s fit for a princess. The creative bride envisioned an underskirt that would peek out from underneath the hem. So we designed it so that a couple inches of the ivory tulle will show below the dress once it is finished.
I also finished the little jumper this morning and it’s in the mail for the birthday boy. I’ll post about it next week after he opens it.
Now if I could only make some progress with the Simplicity 2177 dress. I created a muslin last weekend, which fit without too many alterations. I managed to put in the invisible zipper and lining before dinner, but had to stop before I threw it in the trash out of frustration. I’ll try to salvage it later this weekend!