Given the amount of drafting work that went into altering Simplicity’s pattern 2599 to fit me, I thought that I would make another top (or two) using the pattern.
While it is the same basic shape, I think that it looks quite different from the black polka dot top. The fabric is cotton voile from Anna Maria Horner’s Little Folks collection, which I purchased back in the fall with every intention of making a very different top (oh well.)
I made several significant alterations to the pattern including:
- Removing ease, which I mentioned yesterday. My first muslin looked like a tent. So I picked up my handy measuring tape and compared my waist measurements to those of the finished garment, and removed approximately 2″-3″ of excess. I found that the top was especially baggy in the front, so I removed approximately 1″ from the center front seam, and 1-1.5″ from each of the side seams.
- Redrawing side seams to more accurately reflect curves and to better nip in around the waist area.
- Reducing the ease and redrawing the center back seam to adjust for a sway back.
- Adding length, because when you are 5’11” you have to add length to every pattern…
I also lined the shirt, which isn’t necessary with every fabric, but I found the voile to be a tad sheer. Finally, after hauling out the sewing machine’s operating manual and using a new foot, I managed to put in an elastic casing (without using binding) to form an empire waist.
All in all, I think it turned out as I envisioned it, which frankly is a new trend. After years of attempting garment construction and throwing the product in the trash, I’m always a bit surprised when it fits me well. I must admit that I made three different muslins to finally draft the pattern the way I like it… but now it’s going to be a staple.
I’ll post one more version tomorrow.