When a Talbots catalog arrived in my mailbox earlier this spring, I became smitten with this shirt. White, breezy and made of Swiss dot fabric. But for $58? Having recently finished two tops made with the Simplicity 2599 pattern, I knew that I had the basic shape of the blouse and thought that I would give it a try.
I found the white cotton Swiss dot at a fabric warehouse near my hometown, along with white cotton batiste. Including the cost of thread and the invisible zipper, I think I made the whole thing for about $10. Not bad.
I used the pattern for the basic shell of the pattern, but signifcantly altered the front. As with the other tops made with Simplicity 2599 I removed a significant amount of ease. To achieve the pleating on the front I made a 1-1.5″ open dart on the outside of the shell, which the ruffle covers.
Had the deadline for the 2011 Spring Top SewAlong not been extended, I never would have gotten this finished. I was oh-s0-close on Monday morning, but I had a tangle with the invisible zipper. I must admit that this was my first “truly invisible” zipper, and it may have been my last! I think the trouble was that I sewed the center back seam prior to putting in the zipper. (I know that you aren’t supposed to do it that way, but I thought that I could get away with it!) Next time, I’ll definitely follow the directions more carefully.
I think that I’m ready to move onto a new pattern, but I must say that this ranks up there with my all time favorites. Hancock’s pattern sale starts tomorrow and I have my eye on several new dress patterns. I’ll post in a few days about the vintage wrap dress I recently made using a vintage McCall’s pattern, # 9365.
If anyone is interested, I’d be happy to post a tutorial on how I constructed the blouse.