(Pardon the fuzzy picture, the camera focused on the moutains instead of me.) Isn’t the setting gorgeous?
It’s finished! And just in time for seersucker season. This pink seersucker dress is based on Simplicity’s 2177 pattern. I live in the south and I relish the opportunity to squeeze in as much seersucker as possible during the “season” (between Memorial Day and Labor Day). For those of you who were wondering, I also managed to finish the dress in time for last weekend’s fun summer wedding (barely).
As of last Wednesday night, I thought I had had solved most of the fit issues. I was ready to remove the basting stitches and put in my final seam. But after struggling with the alterations for several hours, I decided to change the pattern. I ended up top stitching the center bodice panel and including a sash. The two ends of the sash attach underneath the edges of the bodice panel.
The sash was acutally a last minute addition, but I think that it really makes the dress. It also helps make it a bit more fitted. The Professor also bought me a new necklace to wear with the dress- I had it made at a local beading shop.
The dress is from Simplicity’s 2177 pattern. It’s a great dress that is relatively quick to construct. I would certainly make it again. I’m already envisioning a version with sleeves.
Pattern details: All in all, the pattern came together nicely. The main alteration I made was to line the dress due to the sheerness of the seersucker fabric. I also made my standard alterations- swayback adjustment, additional length in the bodice and in the skirt.
My troubles with the dress ultimately came from the fact that I made the center back seam too tight- thus puckering the bodice front. Once I increased the seams in the front (to compensate) the problem was fixed. Next time, I’ll make sure that my center back seam is correct and I won’t have this issue.