Saved from the trash can

With the help of lots of advice from all of you, my pink chambray dress is finished.  It started off as a mis-matched pink sack a couple of weeks ago, and is now at least the same color.  Given the transformation, I would say that I am generally pleased with it.  On the plus side, it’s incredibly comfortable.  It feels like a mumu but hopefully it doesn’t look quite as much like one now.

BEFORE

AFTER

The advice of the wonderful sewing community was overwhelmingly to not give up.  I have to admit that I thought that the dress couldn’t be saved.  But with the wonderful support I plugged onward.

I first ripped apart the bodice to separate the contrasting fabric from the pink chambray.  Fortunately I had extra pink chambray and I was able to cut out a new bodice that matched.  Since the dress was way too big, I took in all of the seams about .75″ and then used my favorite technique.  Shirring.

Shirring will always help a garment to fit better by defining the area that is shirred.  In this case, I shirred the dress at my natural waist.  If you would like to try this technique, here are the steps:  (1) find and mark your natural waist (or the smallest part of your waist if you prefer an empire fit);  (2) determine the final width of shirring that you would prefer ( I used 2.5″ of shirring to give extra definition and shape);  (3) starting at the center- your natural waist- mark rows moving up and down from the waist center point.  I sewed a row of shirring at my natural waist and then moved up and down in rows 0.25″ apart.


At the end of the day, is this my favorite dress?  Probably not.  I love how comfortable it is, but I don’t think that it’s quite work appropriate.  I’ll probably stick to just wearing it on the weekends.  However, if I had chosen a different fabric- perhaps a crisp cotton poplin or a soft cotton lawn the dress would look completely different.  With the right alterations I don’t think that this pattern deserves the bad reviews that it receives.

If can find a nice soft flannel, I’ll probably make it as a nightgown.  Long sleeves and the full-length skirt option would make a wonderfully snuggly nightgown during the cold winter nights.

Here is the finished dress.  What do you think?

Advertisements

2 Comments

Filed under Dresses, Pattern review

2 responses to “Saved from the trash can

  1. As you move into the strange weather of late summer/barely fall, this would look really cute matched with a gray sweater! Very cute!

  2. Yippee!!! I love stories like this one! I seriously think the dress looks good. Quite good. And Sherrie is right; a little cardigan will carry it through to fall. Your idea to add shirring worked quite well and while it may feel like a mumu to you, it looks tailored and cute on my computer monitor, so wear it proudly. And it has pockets! You did a great job with this dress and just think all the wear you’ll get from it. Well done!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s