Category Archives: 2011 Spring Top SewAlong

Wow! Two tops “made the cut” for the SewAlong!

 

Thank you!  Two of my tops have made the cut for the 2011 Spring Top SewAlong, hosted by Made by Rae.  I feel like I have been named to the “Sewing Honors Roll” and I humbled that I am included in the ranks of such great seamstresses.  To have 2 tops chosen out of the 300+ that were submitted seems like a prize in itself!

Two of my tops are featured in Tuesday’s voting.   Please head over to the site and vote for one of my tops (they are competing against each other).  The top which receives the highest votes of the day will be entered in the finale on Friday, May 20th. 

The two tops are:

Polka Dot Top by the Professor’s Wife

and

Ruffled Red Top by the Professor’s Wife

 

I blogged about both the polka dot top and the red ruffled top earlier if you are interested in the details of the fabric and its construction.   

Voting starts tomorrow (Tuesday, 5/17) at 9 a.m. and closes Wednesday (5/18) at 8 a.m.   Here is the link to the voting-  http://www.made-by-rae.com/2011/05/top-of-tops-day-2-vote.html.

Thanks for all of your support!!

7 Comments

Filed under 2011 Spring Top SewAlong, Tops

Take three, Simplicity 2599

When a Talbots catalog arrived in my mailbox earlier this spring, I became smitten with this shirt.  White, breezy and made of Swiss dot fabric.  But for $58?  Having recently finished two tops made with the Simplicity 2599 pattern, I knew that I had the basic shape of the blouse and thought that I would give it a try. 

I found the white cotton Swiss dot at a fabric warehouse near my hometown, along with white cotton batiste.  Including the cost of thread and the invisible zipper, I think I made the whole thing for about $10.  Not bad. 

I used the pattern for the basic shell of the pattern, but signifcantly altered the front.  As with the other tops made with Simplicity 2599 I removed a significant amount of ease.  To achieve the pleating on the front I made a 1-1.5″ open dart on the outside of the shell, which the ruffle covers.

Had the deadline for the 2011 Spring Top SewAlong not been extended, I never would have gotten this finished.  I was oh-s0-close on Monday morning, but I had a tangle with the invisible zipper.  I must admit that this was my first “truly invisible” zipper, and it may have been my last!  I think the trouble was that I sewed the center back seam prior to putting in the zipper. (I know that you aren’t supposed to do it that way, but I thought that I could get away with it!)  Next time, I’ll definitely follow the directions more carefully.

I think that I’m ready to move onto a new pattern, but I must say that this ranks up there with my all time favorites.  Hancock’s pattern sale starts tomorrow and I have my eye on several new dress patterns.  I’ll post in a few days about the vintage wrap dress I recently made using a vintage McCall’s pattern, # 9365.

 

If anyone is interested, I’d be happy to post a tutorial on how I constructed the blouse.

5 Comments

Filed under 2011 Spring Top SewAlong